Home

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Mosaic Painting

Arjun and I love to do projects together.  This is one that took us several days, but we are both very proud of it!  We used boxes cut into 2" X 2" squares to make tiles and fit them onto a grid.  The tiles are made from cereal boxes and the gridded base was made from a box used to ship large picture frames to me at school.  I saw a little version of this on Lil Blue Boo a few months ago and did a similar project with the 4 year olds at my school. 
I had the whole thing set up for him to start when we got home in the afternoon.  He was excited to start as soon as he saw it.  "A puzzle!" he said.
Arjun arranged all of the squares (some of them were arranged under the backing) and I helped him glue them to the cardboard.  He liked rubbing the glue stick onto the backs of the squares, but they were the sticks with the spongy pads that need a little squeeze to get the glue to come out.  He had trouble with the squeezing part.  He was surprisingly good at following the grid!

I let the glue dry under a heavy board overnight.  In the morning, it was set up for painting and printing.  When that became old, I hung it on the easel.....

Then back to the floor again.  We took turns printing on it.  Arjun did all of the brushwork himself.

We both love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment