Home

Monday, May 9, 2011

Kids Clothes Week Challenge

Yep.  I am participating in Elsie Marley's Kids Clothes Week Challenge.  Which means that I am committing to sewing for Arjun one hour each day for seven days.  Why not?  It's not like I don't have a million other things to do!  Actually, I love being way-too-busy and there are some things that I have been wanting to make for Arjun anyway.
Arjun and I read 4-6 books a night before he goes to sleep and he usually likes to read a favorite book several nights in a row before we can put it back on the shelf and swap it for another.  Sometimes he even likes to read the same book several times in a row before we can move on to the next.
One of his current favorites is The Runaway Dinner by Allan Ahlberg.
In which a little boy named Banjo chases after his dinner after it gets up from his plate and runs away.
Arjun likes his clothes.
 He wants me to make him a white star shirt with blue sleeves.  He already has a yellow star shirt with blue sleeves that I made him before we ever even discovered this book.  Now he wants a white one.  Like Banjo's.  And he wants pink shorts.  With pockets.
I already have the fabric picked out for the shorts - which will actually be pink and orange because I don't want to copy the picture exactly....I will most likely modify the shirt a bit too since that's what I do.
I used a basic pants pattern from Ottobre Magazine - which I LOVE.  And which starts out looking like this:  

Which scares most people - including me.  You have to trace out the pattern amidst all of the other patterns that are tangled up and layered on top of the one you want - which is actually not quite as difficult as it seems.  
 I like for my patterns to have body to them so I laid the tracing paper version on top of thicker paper and cut both layers at once.
 I made a prototype to check lengths and widths.  Good thing too, since it will need significant adjusting and I won't want to miscut my deep pink corduroy.


Arjun posed for me!  When I asked him to stand up, sit down and turn around...he did!  He understands now that he can see the pictures of himself after I take them and it interests him.  Lucky for me!  I took these pictures with my phone.  I'll do better when there is more to see....

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun challenge! Can't wait to see how his outfit turns out. Love the inspiration from the book, too. Arjun is a lucky boy!

    ReplyDelete